if I become a national-team manager, | Forum

advertisement
Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
wzh123
wzh123 Nov 27 '19
SEATTLE -- The Houston Astros playoff momentum was halted Sunday by a pitcher they had never faced -- and likely will have to face again. Reggie Jackson Jersey .Ariel Miranda (5-1), a Cuban defector acquired by the Seattle Mariners in a July 31 trade with Baltimore, held the Astros to just three hits and two runs over his seven innings in Seattles 7-3 victory.Seth Smith powered up a pair of home runs and had four RBI in support as the Mariners moved ahead of the Astros in the congested wild-card race.Houston (78-71) is a half game behind both the Mariners (79-70) and Detroit in the race for the wild card spots.He (Miranda) has a good fastball and a good split finger-change thing that he throws, Astros manager A. J. Hinch said. Our guys hadnt seen a ton of him...he did a good job challenging us, just above the zone and we swung under today and hit a lot of pop-ups in the infield, a few balls to the outfield. A couple balls to the track that could have changed the game a little bit. He kept enticing us with fastballs.That enticement will continue in the final week of the season. The Mariners play another three-game set with he Astros in Houston, Sept. 26-28, and Miranda likely is on schedule to start that series final game.Mirandas seven innings was his longest outing in 10 starts with Seattle. He walked one and struck out eight.Heck of an outing, Mariners manager Scott Servais said. Hes on a heck of a roll. We certainly needed it. Hes gained so much confidence. You can certainly can see it.Miranda has won all four of his starts in September. He said, through an interpreter, its been a dream of mine (to be in a playoff chase) but never been there. Its really great to get there. Im happy with the work Ive been doing and happy to help the team.Smith had a solo shot in the third and a three-run blast in the fourth, both on 3-1 pitches from Doug Fister (12-12), who went just 3 2/3 innings.I was just trying to attack with my sinker; he put a couple good swings on balls -- clearly, Fister said. I just didnt execute today, thats what it comes down to. Balls down, balls up, all over the place. I let my team down.Smith had been 0-for-10 in his career against Fister but the eight-year veteran had a plan.Guys know what theyre doing when they are pitching and able to pitch to the corners, Smith said. You try to take the close ones, try to get into a good hitters count when they come after you.Youre constantly learning, how to approach at-bats, knowing what kind of swing you have going into a game, knowing what the pitcher is trying to do to you, Smith said. Over the course of a career you kind of fit the pieces a little better together.RECORD WHIFFSWith Jandel Gustaves strikeout of Shawn OMalley in the sixth, the Astros staff established a club record for strikeouts with 1,283. Theyve done it without even a 200-strikeout pitcher. For the most part we have a few guys who can spin their breaking balls when they need to, manager A.J. Hinch said. and the changeup is a big component of our pitching staff.SLOW START; FAST FINISHNori Aoki, who was sent to the minors twice this season to work on his offense, has found his batting eye this month. Entering the game, he was hitting .387 in September, fifth best in the American League. He had been hitting .255 overall to start the month. For his career, he is a .324 hitting in September, fourth best among active players. He had two hits Sunday.TRAINERS ROOMMariners: 1B Adam Lind had not played since Sept. 12 with a sprained finger in his right hand but was back in the lineup Sunday, missing five games.UP NEXTAstros: RHP Brad Peacock (0-0, 2.70) will make his third start, seventh appearance, in his effort to win his first game since 2014. Last time ou, Sept. 13, he was solid, going six innings and allowing just three hits and one run in a 3-2 loss to Texas. Now the Astros are counting on him to step up at the most critical stage of the season. He is 1-4 with a 4.97 ERA in nine career appearances against Oakland.Mariners: RHP Taijuan Walker (6-10, 4.28) is coming off his best starting effort of his career (59 starts). He allowed just three hits and no runs -- first career shutout -- in an 8-0 win over the L.A. Angels. He had a no-hitter through 5 2/3 innings. He is 0-2 with a 3.66 ERA in three career starts against the Blue Jays but has not faced them this season. Cole Sulser Jersey .Y. -- The Buffalo Sabres have placed centre Cody Hodgson on injured reserve and recalled two players from their AHL affiliate in Rochester. DJ Stewart Jersey . Breaking three of his own world records on his way to winning in Paris, Chan silenced the critics and left the audiences standing in appreciation and awe. https://www.cheaporioles.com/348i-branden-kline-jersey-orioles.html .C. -- When North Carolina freshman Ryan Switzer reported to training camp in August he was a little miffed to learn he was third on the depth chart at punt returner. MANCHESTER, England -- It has been another fraught, headline-grabbing spell away with Englands national team for Wayne Rooney.Once again, Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho must pick up the pieces.Rooney is back under Uniteds control after having been forced to apologize for some late-night revelry while on England duty, when he was pictured -- in his England training gear -- looking bleary-eyed at a wedding reception at the team hotel on Saturday.Rooney was criticized by the English Football Associations chief executive, Martin Glenn, for not setting the right tone as England captain, and the strikers conduct has sparked a fresh wave of negative publicity toward a player who has shown erratic behavior on and off the field earlier in his career.Mourinho said Rooney has been hurt by the negativity toward him.Even if you have or if you build a kind of wall around you to try to feel protected from what people write about you or think about you, the comments people make about you, the wall has always points of fragility, Mourinho said. It has always some little holes.And we are not still, we are flesh and blood. So I think it has an effect.Mourinho must be starting to dread Rooney going away with the national team. Two months ago, the United manager said Rooney came back from England duty a different person than when he left after fierce media criticism that he received after his performance in a World Cup qualifying match against Slovakia.Honestly, I think there was a Wayne before the Slovakia-England and a Wayne after Slovakia-England, Mourinho said at the time.Now, Mourinho faces another fight to get Rooney mentally right,, at a time when the striker had got his place back in both Uniteds and Englands team after a spell of poor form. Orioles Jerseys 2019. Sometimes (players) come back stronger than when they left us because something positive happens there -- good performances, good results, Mourinho said. Other times, injuries, sometimes big injuries. Other times frustrations because they didnt play, because the result was bad.In this case we know what didnt go well, but the national team is a different chapter and a chapter that is closed now until March.Mourinho suggested that the England management take better care of Rooney next time he is away with the national team. There were reports in the British media that Mourinho felt let down by the FA for allowing Rooney to stay up late and drink alcohol.I learned since I was a kid, if someone lends me something, I have to take care even better than if it was mine, Mourinho said. You know, your friend lent you a pencil, you have to take care of the pencil better than if it was your pencil.So I think when one day if I become a national-team manager, I will try -- try, I am not saying that I will be successful on that -- ... to build something to protect what is not yours.Mourinho also said he feels Rooney has been unfairly singled out for criticism.If you go one by one to see where these 23 (England) players were, the Portuguese coach added, some of them were in worse places than the hotel bar.Rooneys first game back for United is against Arsenal in the Premier League on Saturday. ' ' '
advertisement

Advertisement

advertisement
Password protected photo
Password protected photo
Password protected photo